Have you ever had one of those days where an event or circumstance occurred that fit inside of you like a perfect puzzle piece? I guess I mean a big puzzle piece, or maybe just an important one. A piece that it’s hole has been like an internal itch of irritation, one you don't get the satisfaction of scratching because it's well... internal. Therefore nothing external meets it, so it just continues itching reminding you it’s there, but you're left powerless to do anything about it, because you are not quite sure what it is, let alone how to satisfy it. It leaves everything feeling empty, or at least not quite full. But there are not words for it, at least not until it is fulfilled. That was my day yesterday.
Upon arriving in Arad I found my heart tempted to sink as the foster home was not the quite experience I had hoped for. But being aware that coming here was about more then my wants and desires. So I’ve spent a lot of time seeking the Lord, and staying here is definitely where I have felt led to remain. It has been interesting to watch little pieces come together slowly. What I am doing here is very simple, but it is becoming more and more full.
One sweet piece that has come together is being able to volunteer with a local sculpting artist. His name is Rick Winicke whom I was trying to get a hold of for about a year before I came, but couldn’t find out where in Israel he was located. Then, after a few weeks of being here I found out he basically lives down the street. I was enamored when I discovered this to say the least! Rick has created many pieces that represent different stories in scripture, as well as a large display of a dialogue of God's heart of the holocaust by correlating it to the crucifiction. Which to Israeli’s is basically an abomination to even mention the two together in one sentence. But the amazing thing about art is how it bypasses the intellect and grips the heart. If you care to see some of his stuff his website is www.castingseed.com. As ecstatic as I am about working with him and his wife something continued to tear at me.
So hanging out with the Sudanese kids continues to be a theme of this trip, and I’ve realized was the missing piece to my time here in Arad. This last week I found out they have a center here in town for the children. So I went and checked it out. There is a pretty big need there, as the amount of children is overwhelming to the adult ratio. It is a strange feeling the way this seems to fill the emptiness I was deeply feeling being here. But these children are incredible to me. I’ve worked with kids a lot, from babysitting growing up, helping raise my own two little siblings, working in the nursery at church, working with special ed. and handicapped kids. You get the point. But these kids are intense. They have an aggression and passion about them that greatly intrigues me. I find I am often trying to show them how to interact in love, and kindness toward each other. Which is always a big part of working with kids in general as they aren’t one’s to hide their true feelings. But Sudanese kids have a strength that is almost frightening, the way they are with each other. Also their eye contact is enthralling to me. I think we speak the same unspoken language. So I will also be teaching some of the older kids English, which I plan to make an interesting experience for them! Ha! So I am not sure what will come of this discovery, if anything more then the current beauty that it is. But I am grateful for this experience, and for the depths of God’s love I feel for each one of these little one’s in every single one of my interactions with them.
I am still looking into different farms and kibbutz programs to volunteer or be a part of between January to May. Finding a lot of great options here, though only some of them are free. I have to leave the country at the end of the month and how long I stay in Israel is dependent upon if they extend my visa another 3 months or not, as well as finances. Oh the joys of the unknown and living by impossibilities!
Upon arriving in Arad I found my heart tempted to sink as the foster home was not the quite experience I had hoped for. But being aware that coming here was about more then my wants and desires. So I’ve spent a lot of time seeking the Lord, and staying here is definitely where I have felt led to remain. It has been interesting to watch little pieces come together slowly. What I am doing here is very simple, but it is becoming more and more full.
One sweet piece that has come together is being able to volunteer with a local sculpting artist. His name is Rick Winicke whom I was trying to get a hold of for about a year before I came, but couldn’t find out where in Israel he was located. Then, after a few weeks of being here I found out he basically lives down the street. I was enamored when I discovered this to say the least! Rick has created many pieces that represent different stories in scripture, as well as a large display of a dialogue of God's heart of the holocaust by correlating it to the crucifiction. Which to Israeli’s is basically an abomination to even mention the two together in one sentence. But the amazing thing about art is how it bypasses the intellect and grips the heart. If you care to see some of his stuff his website is www.castingseed.com. As ecstatic as I am about working with him and his wife something continued to tear at me.
So hanging out with the Sudanese kids continues to be a theme of this trip, and I’ve realized was the missing piece to my time here in Arad. This last week I found out they have a center here in town for the children. So I went and checked it out. There is a pretty big need there, as the amount of children is overwhelming to the adult ratio. It is a strange feeling the way this seems to fill the emptiness I was deeply feeling being here. But these children are incredible to me. I’ve worked with kids a lot, from babysitting growing up, helping raise my own two little siblings, working in the nursery at church, working with special ed. and handicapped kids. You get the point. But these kids are intense. They have an aggression and passion about them that greatly intrigues me. I find I am often trying to show them how to interact in love, and kindness toward each other. Which is always a big part of working with kids in general as they aren’t one’s to hide their true feelings. But Sudanese kids have a strength that is almost frightening, the way they are with each other. Also their eye contact is enthralling to me. I think we speak the same unspoken language. So I will also be teaching some of the older kids English, which I plan to make an interesting experience for them! Ha! So I am not sure what will come of this discovery, if anything more then the current beauty that it is. But I am grateful for this experience, and for the depths of God’s love I feel for each one of these little one’s in every single one of my interactions with them.
I am still looking into different farms and kibbutz programs to volunteer or be a part of between January to May. Finding a lot of great options here, though only some of them are free. I have to leave the country at the end of the month and how long I stay in Israel is dependent upon if they extend my visa another 3 months or not, as well as finances. Oh the joys of the unknown and living by impossibilities!

No comments:
Post a Comment