So yesterday I went to meet the near by Bedouins. For those that do not know: Bedouins are a desert-dwelling Arab nomadic pastoralist, or previously nomadic group, found throughout most of the desert belt extending from the Atlantic coast of the Sahara via the Western Desert, Sinai, and Negev. These days many are no longer nomadic. The one's I met are settled here in Arad. We went to the Chiefs home. He has two wives and 19 children. When I asked him how many children he has he commented on how young he still is and is looking for another wife, as he gave me an inquisitive look. I quickly looked away trying to pretend I didn't catch it, as I pushed aside a wave of nausea.
One of his daughters followed my every step, she was adorable! I helped make some bread, checked out their camels, ratted chickens and had some pretty good tea. Their living conditions were rather interesting. Piles of clothes and trash everywhere, bed mats dispersed erractically. The more I looked around the more the daughter that was following me around seemed to get embarrassed, so I stopped. I could see how this was the way life is lived. I wondered if any of them wanted a different lifestyle, if any attempted to reach past what they were raised in, and how they are treated if they do so. These are questions I should ask.
It was Ramadan, so we got to partake in their nightly feast! Well sorta. A new experience all around for me.
I forgot to take my camera so I can't give visuals of this experience. But supposedly we go there often, so I will have plenty of opportunities to capture this lifestyle!
One of his daughters followed my every step, she was adorable! I helped make some bread, checked out their camels, ratted chickens and had some pretty good tea. Their living conditions were rather interesting. Piles of clothes and trash everywhere, bed mats dispersed erractically. The more I looked around the more the daughter that was following me around seemed to get embarrassed, so I stopped. I could see how this was the way life is lived. I wondered if any of them wanted a different lifestyle, if any attempted to reach past what they were raised in, and how they are treated if they do so. These are questions I should ask.
It was Ramadan, so we got to partake in their nightly feast! Well sorta. A new experience all around for me.
I forgot to take my camera so I can't give visuals of this experience. But supposedly we go there often, so I will have plenty of opportunities to capture this lifestyle!

2 comments:
Hey Lady, sounds like God is showing you some pretty awesome things. I'll be praying for you. Love ya!
i miss you so much. it's amazing to read of your adventures lately. you are dearly loved sister. we pray for you here in seattle at our house.
i have much to tell you and will write soon. facebook? email? which is best?
p.s. check out my blog for updates. the link is on my facebook.
Post a Comment