This is pretty much the note I wrote on facebook...
My time here has been surreal. At times, I still cannot wrap my brain around the fact that I am actually here. Hopefully when I see more of the land it will begin to fully register. I know I haven't traveled much overseas, but I've been about the states and I've never experienced anything like this place. It's like every cell of my body and spirit have come to life. All my senses are on overload. I didn't feel it until my second day here because the first was spent recovering from jet lag, but this strong, familar sense of home is evident every place my feet take me. My brain keeps trying to make sense of it, but I think it is just one of those things that just are about His Land. Many people here feel it as well. As I rode on the bus here I felt as though I was one with the soil of this land. Probably a little too intense or cheesy for some, but it's all very real to me. Some of you know how I long to grow a garden, so I've got this thing with soil and the soil of our souls...
Staying in the Hostel in Tel Aviv was a beautiful beginning to this adventure. I definitely think I could live life on a roof for an extended period of time. Although it was a little overwhelming yet exciting how many people were coming in and out from all over the world on a daily basis.
I didn't really know why I was coming to visit this ministry on Mt. Carmel. I just knew I had to after having such an intense experience reading their book "Road to Carmel" two years ago. I was praying about volunteering here at first because of that, but the doors to the orphanage in Arad were wide open. Being here, though really good, has confirmed this is not the place for me. Upon arriving I dropped off my bags and headed straight for the sanctuary. There was a tangible thickness of God's presence there. They also have this room below they call "the cave" its was the first thing built on this territory. It has been known that when people go there to pray it often opens up the root issues of what you are praying about. Anyways, I definitely had some interesting times with the Lord in there.
One thing that has been a pleasant surprise is that I got to meet a young woman named Mary Jane. She worked in China with Jackie Pollenger for three years. Hearing the intensity of that ministry and how it prepared her for what God had for her here intrigued me deeply, to say the least. She knows she is here for life, called to Bethlem in specific. Her reality excites me. Jackie's story "Chasing the Dragon" was the first I read that began brewing these desires within my heart in high school. I remember closing that book and knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my life. Or it was the first mirror that reflected a resemblance what was already truest inside of me.
I didn't realize until I got here how much I expected to meet with the Lord or hear from him in a real way about why I am here or what is next. The things that have been heaviest on my heart are most unexpected. I'll share more about that later.
I've fallen in love with the babies and children here. I remembered on Shabbat that Sudan was heavy on my heart in high school for awhile. I am grateful to know the community I am going to today, work with the Sudanese refugees as well. I find I enjoy the babies fingers most. There is a strength, and roughness to their touch and activity I am not use to. One of the girls, Yamema, whose mother and sister weren't let through the boarders, has snuck into a special place in my heart. Almost immediately the bond felt like a sister and when I heard more of her story I realized all the more how precious my time with her here would be.
Also there is a young woman 16yrs old. She is pregnant and due in a few weeks. Just this weekend is the first time she began to express a desire to keep her baby. There is much more to her story, but I am uncertain of what I can share. There are many hurdles to be jumped in order for the state to grant this. In particular they would need someone to care for this little one one-on-one. After much prayer I decided to offer to be that person and so there is much that needs to be supported in prayer.
Leaving today is a little difficult as each day connection with these little one's increases. But thankfully I will be coming back in two weeks for a few days to explore the Golan Heights with a team here. That is all I have for now, actually I have so much more, but I have been repeatedly told write short brief notes and blogs. I don't think I did a very good job of that, heh!
I will try to add more pictures later. Keep me in your prayers as traveling alone has already been a bit of an adventure. But people here are most helpful!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment